Home

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Entertaining Angels

I haven't posted on here in an age. I hope you all will forgive me. I was busy, but I may begin posting somewhat regularly now.

I'm afraid I couldn't find a better photo.

My Review

Entertaining Angels, by Emerald Barnes, is the inspiring story of a young woman who overcomes her insecurity. Madison begins the story as an overweight, depressed teenager, but her best friend Chase and the hot new boy at school, Zack, help her fight her insecurity with encouraging words and prayers. Ultimately, God’s truth about His creations’ beauty wins. Yet, the story twists and turns—which boy will she choose, what will the horrible Ashley do next, and what does the title have to do with the story?
I loved the story. It was sweet, a little predictable, but I have read few books that were not predictable in some way. The story was more made to encourage the readers than to be original. I was glad that Jesus Christ was the one who gave Madison self-worth, not herself, her friends, or her popularity (or rather, lack of popularity).
One thing I would comment on is that Christianity does not appear to be clearly defined in this book. From the experience Madison had in the church, one might assume that having a special feeling and hearing encouraging words in your head during the worship service automatically makes you a Christian. That is not in the Bible I have read and memorized. It says, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved (Acts 16:31)”… “that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures (1Cor 15:3-4).” I just thought I should comment on that. I hope no one is offended.
Aside from that, I think it is a lovely book and I hope some young women out there will be encouraged by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment