Home

Monday, September 12, 2016

Book Tour: "Operation Tenley"




Description



Operation Tenley (The Fair City Files #1)
by Jennifer Gooch Hummer
Publication Date: September 13, 2016
Publisher: Month9Books

Synopsis:

Meet Tenley Tylwyth, an Elemental Teen born with the power to produce weather. Cool? Not really. Elementals who can create weather make Mother Nature angry. It’s time she got rid of them. Only one thing is standing in her way—Fair Ones. These ancestors of fairies keep kids like Tenley safe, but when rookie Fair One, Pennie, fails to do so, she’s forced to travel to Earth—a place where no Fair One wants to go. Now, Pennie has forty-eight hours to convince Tenley to give up her power. It won’t be so easy. Tenley’s got a way with wind. And after falling deep into Mother Nature’s gardens, where trees grow upside down and insects attack on command, a little wind might be just what Tenley needs to survive. Even if it kills her.


Buy Links:


About the Author


Jennifer Gooch Hummer is the award-winning author and screenwriter of her debut novel, Girl Unmoored (SparkPress). Girl Unmoored has also been published in German (Carlsen).  Jennifer has worked as a script analyst for various talent agencies and film studios. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and three daughters.

Author Links:




Author Interview


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? Hobbies, pets, fun facts? Tea or coffee?

I was born and raised just outside of Boston. I went to Kenyon College and spent a year in Paris before moving to Los Angeles, where I still am today. I came to Los Angeles to sing. I studied opera and auditioned in and around the opera circuit. But I wanted to be a writer too! I became a script reader at William Morris Endeavor, which propelled me into scriptwriting. My first novel, GIRL UNMOORED, was published a few years ago, and was then optioned for film. I wrote the script. OPERATION TENLEY is my first middle grade book. And yes! Both coffee and tea, actually!


What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

In OPERATION TENLEY, my favorite chapter is Chapter 26, when Gavron shows up at the Tylwyth house. I love how afraid of humans Gavron is, despite playing the tough guy.


Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or is it purely all imagination?

I wish the book was based on real life. I’d definitely want Wind for my elemental power. Some of Tenley’s dialogue is a little too realises in my house, though. I have three daughters.


What inspired you to write this book?

I’m a true believer in fairies, especially of the nature kind. I’m also pretty certain that Mother Nature always wins, which means we better stop destroying our planet If we want to keep living here. So I decided to write about what would happen if Mother Nature really was planning our demise. Then I added some technology, a few quirky characters and a couple of teenagers.


Is there a particular author or book that influenced you in any way either as a child or an adult?

Inspiration for The Fair City Files actually came from a film: Ferngully. Right when I saw it, I wanted to write about fairies and nature and the humans who try to destroy them. It’s very old at this point (1992) but I still love it.


Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?

Read like a writer. Try to notice the pace of the plot – is it too slow or too fast? Notice the characters – do they stay true to the thing it is that they want? Notice the dialogue – is it realistic for the time period? Do this with all kinds of genres, even TV and film. Unfortunately, once you start analyzing stories it will be hard to stop!


Is there anything you would like to say to your fans or readers?

Thank you for entering into this quirky world with me! There’s much more to come.


Giveaway




No comments:

Post a Comment