Home

Monday, July 11, 2016

Book Tour: "Rising Tides" by Katy Haye



Description


Rising Tides
Genre: YA Post-Apocalyptic
Release Date: June 20th 2016

Summary from Goodreads:

The truth won’t stay submerged forever.

City is the last civilised place left on a drowned Earth, a floating town built from metal and plastic from the Time Before. It’s the only home doctor's daughter Libby Marchmont has ever known or wanted – until her father helps the wrong patient and she's forced to flee.

Cosimo came to City for one reason. Then he should have vanished back to his people on the Wastes. But what about his promise to Libby’s father?

Stranded in the middle of the sea, can the two enemies learn to trust each other? And can they survive long enough to uncover the truth: City isn’t the safe haven Libby always believed it to be … 


You can get a copy of Rising Tides in paperback or for your Kindle (to buy, or with Kindle Unlimited) using this link: http://authl.it/B01FHXD8HG?d


About the Author


Katy Haye spends most of her time in imaginary worlds - her own or someone else's. She has a fearsome green tea habit, a partiality for dark chocolate brazils and a fascination with the science of storytelling.

Author Links:


Guest Post


Build your own kayak: Shaping the world of Rising Tides

I write fantasy in part because I like the “making it up” part of creative writing. This means I often write in a way others consider backwards – I write the story, then see what needs research to make the world I’ve created work as if it were really real.
Will’s kayak race in Rising Tides was an addition after I’d written my first draft and started my research. I was absolutely fascinated by all the things you can make from plastic bottles and I couldn’t resist showing off what fun this “make do and mend” mentality could bring about (because living in a post-apocalyptic world isn’t all doom and gloom, you know).
If you have a spare weekend, the link above will show how to make your own kayak from old plastic bottles. That doesn’t appeal? Don’t worry – there are lots of other projects using recycled bottles. You could build a greenhouse (which inspired the houses on City), or a bigger boat for you and your friends to take up a river.



Here’s the scene where Will and his friends race their recycled kayaks around City for something to do:
One of the crowd gave a shout as the recycled bottle kayaks came into view. All eyes were on the three racers, and the rowdy splashing they made as they rounded the corner. It was like they didn’t care about being caught, like the rules didn’t apply to them.
Will Keyne finished first, crashing his kayak into the factory path floats and raising his paddle above his head with a grin of triumph. Hannah leaned over the edge of the pontoons, waving a scarf to signal the end of the race. I was slightly surprised she didn’t fall in, but her balance was as perfect as the shine of her hair.
“Will! Oh, you were so fast!”
Hannah was all teeth and hair and cleavage as Will came to a stop – and how could she not fall in? She was more over the water than she was on the pontoons.
Binny reached the finish a second later, grabbing at the edge of the pontoons with one hand while the other held his paddle. Foo followed half a minute after. Both looked annoyed to have been beaten. Or perhaps they were just annoyed that Hannah was flashing her teeth and her cleavage at Will rather than at them.
Foo clambered out first, yanking his kayak from the water. Everyone jumped back to give him space as his bottle kayak dripped water all over the tin pontoons. He pushed through the group, dragging it behind him, passing close to me as he stomped through. I remembered my first and only swimming race. I’d come a dismal last and not one single person had said well done – they were too busy congratulating the winners. I’d sneaked home, not sure whether I was relieved or mortified when no one who’d been there had ever mentioned the race to me again – I might as well not have been there. I could imagine how Foo felt.
I smiled at him. “Well done, that was a tough race.”
He paused long enough to give me a withering look then started walking again, his shoulder jarring mine as he pushed past.
My words shrivelled to a hard lump in my throat and I fought to keep my smile steady. I didn’t fit in, because somehow telling the truth didn’t work when I did it. Maybe I needed to flash my teeth and my chest more whenever I spoke, but I knew I’d die of embarrassment if I even tried that.
Then Binny was climbing out, cat-calling to Will. “You’re just lucky, Keyne!” He hadn’t taken losing as poorly as Foo. The boys clustered around Binny while the girls were focused on Will.
“I would say watch and learn, but you’re too far behind to see me!” Will called back, untruthfully. The only one left in the water, Will flung his paddle to one side and tipped himself to the other, rolling out of the kayak and into the water, then turning a somersault and vanishing into the depths.
Hannah leaned down to look for him but I was sure she couldn’t see anything over the reflected shine of the water and the kayak and paddle he’d left behind, bobbing on the surface. Made from plastic bottles from the Time Before, it wasn’t as though anything was going to sink to the seabed.
Belle stepped forward and muttered something to Hannah. Hannah turned and replied with a grin to her friend, pushing her like it was a joke. Belle staggered a few steps then returned to Hannah’s side, still smiling.
When Will’s head broke the surface, Hannah marked the moment with a dramatic gasp. She pressed a hand to her chest in case Will was thinking of looking anywhere else. “Oh, I thought you were never coming up!” She glanced at Belle then back to Will, who was grinning to match her as he trod water, his dark hair slicked to his head. “You should be a nautilus man,” Hannah told him, “You were down there forever!”
“You think I’d make a good nautilus man, huh?”
Hannah nodded so enthusiastically she ought again to have fallen into the water with him. Her boots must be lead lined to keep her safe.
Will’s gaze snagged on me. “What about it, Doc? Will you conduct the operation?”
All eyes turned to me. I swallowed, trying to think of a reply that wouldn’t break the mood. What could I say? We all knew Will’s father would never let his precious sons go under the knife, no matter how desperate matters became. I tried to think of something witty, something that Hannah might say. Something that wouldn’t get me sour looks and giggles of derision – and my brain failed me. I didn’t have recourse to anything but the truth. “Do you have a licence?”
I looked around when laughter broke out – good-natured laughter, as though I’d made a joke. Even Hannah was smiling. My worry faded away as I realised I had made a joke. I just hadn’t known it was one until afterwards.

Want to read more? You can get a copy of Rising Tides in paperback or for your Kindle (to buy, or with Kindle Unlimited) using this link: http://authl.it/B01FHXD8HG?d


Giveaway



Your survival kit is as follows:
1. An Amazon voucher for £10/$15US/$20CAN, AUS, NZ. Load up your Kindle with books to read, while shops remain.
2. A solar charger so when the national grid fails you can still read your books.
3. A mirror. When you are stranded in the open sea you can signal for help by reflecting the sun's light. Alternatively, if you have no wish to be rescued because you still have reading to do, flip the mirror over to depict the slogan, "Go away I'm reading."
4. Ribbon bookmark. If all your books have been washed away by the rising seas, this can be rolled up and packed into the neck of a cut-open bottle and will double-up as a water filter. Note: this will not desalinate salt water, sorry.
5. A bag to put the last of your belongings into. DO NOT LEAVE THIS BEHIND.


Blog Tour Organized by:

No comments:

Post a Comment